The Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden is in the most wonderful town of Belmont, NC, a little west of Charlotte. It’s an enjoyable way to spend a few hours amongst the splendid flora of the Piedmont of NC.
1) It’s close to Charlotte and the South Carolina border. It’s easy to find and there’s plenty of parking. Tickets are inexpensive and if you really enjoy it, the membership is also reasonable! The Garden is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. During Holidays at the Garden and Thursdays, May through September, the Garden is open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
2) They have water features galore! Water fountains? Got ‘em! Burbling streams? Got them too! Meander through the garden listening to the soothing sounds of water. The jumping fish of the Canal Garden is my favorite, followed by the tunnel fountain in the Allee Garden. Will you take a chance and walk under the streaming water? Or are you nervous about getting wet? Take the plunge! I did.
3) It’s kid friendly. Take the kids to the Lost Hollow, a kid-friendly, hands-on garden with seating for parents. The Stowe Botanical Garden is a great way to introduce kids to nature and let them play in the great outdoors! Now through October the garden is also featuring the Wee Houses, several adorable diminutive houses strategically placed around the garden for kids to find. It’s like an Easter egg hunt without the bunny, the eggs, or the candy, but still fun for the youngsters!
4) They have mini-gardens within the garden. There are over 10 garden themes in the Botanical Garden for you to meander through while taking in the flora and fauna. It’s relaxing watching the butterflies and birds that call the garden home.
5) Sip & Stroll Thursdays. Every Thursday until September the garden is open late for strolling in the early evening while sipping wine. What could be better than that?
6) Events. They’ve got birding & horticulture walks, a fall concert series, and the holidays in the garden, plus other classes and events to keep you busy the whole year. Find out what’s going on at the garden here.
7) The Orchid Conservatory. This is my all-time favorite feature of the garden and reason enough to go visit. The garden features a conservatory filled to the brim with numerous orchids, tropical plants, and water features in a glitzy glass enclosure. I need one of these in my own yard. Seriously.
What are you waiting for? Grab your honey or your mama, or maybe your honey and your mama, and head on over to the garden for a leisurely stroll. You won’t be disappointed. Round out your day with a walk around Belmont Abbey and then grab a bite to eat in the picturesque town of Belmont. Make a day of it!
Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden
6500 South New Hope Road
Belmont, NC 28012